Sunday, October 18, 2009

One pair of Ugg boots: $144.00. One week at Camp Calumet: …Priceless

The idea of values has drastically changed to amount to money and material things. They say that money makes the world go ‘round, but does it, really? From expensive jewelry to designer handbags, the question that is raised for most people is not “what do I value personally?” but it is usually “what’s fashionable now?” Or “What should I buy next?” For me, there are priceless moments in life that are important to me, as well as the objects in my life that have financial worth. Everything in existence holds a certain value that differs from person to person, whether it is a personal value or a value with a dollar sign in front of it.

When I got to middle school I realized that many of my friends were beginning to be sporting more expensive clothes, purses, and especially shoes. Every winter it seemed that the most common footwear was Uggs. I would just imagine how warm my feet would be in a pair of those furry boots. However, my parents believed that the quality of the boots could never live up to such a high price. Low and behold, every year I would receive the newest imposters, which provided half the warmth of the boots that I longed for. I was in eighth grade, and I decided that it was about time I got to experience walking around in my own real
Uggs. I begged and begged until Christmas rolled around, receiving the same response over and over. “We’ll see.” It wasn’t very promising.
I moseyed down the stairs sleepily on Christmas morning, with my sisters behind me, and my parents already waiting downstairs in the living room. I couldn’t keep my eyes from wandering to the presents stacked under the Christmas tree. All of the boxes looked the same. But the next thing I knew, my mother approached me with an unwrapped box. My eyes were immediately drawn to the label. Uggs. I couldn’t help but think to myself—maybe they’re tricking me. Maybe they just used the box for some other present to throw me off. I flipped the top open, and I saw the most pristine-looking pair of boots I had ever seen in my life. I put them on carefully and slowly, wanting to take in every detail. I slipped my feet into the beautiful boots, and I had never felt anything so comfortable. There was so much cushiony fur around my feet. I never wanted to take those shoes off again.

I wake up to the sound of the dreaded, early-morning alarm. My eyes open slowly, adjusting to the fresh daylight, and I become conscious of how cold my toes are at the bottom of my sleeping bag. I gather my things and rush across the dirt road to be first in line at the showers. Despite all my efforts, I am last again. We assemble back at the tent and make our way across camp slowly, most of us still half asleep. You can already hear the songs being sung at Luther Hall. We all clap our hands and stomp our feet, belting out the words we now know by heart. I think to myself that most days, I’d rather still be in bed. But at Camp Calumet, I would much rather be awake, singing and having fun with my newly made friends.
The entire week spent at Calumet is full of new experiences. Funyak tipping, dock jumping, singing, playing greasy watermelon, and just having fun. At camp, there’s no judgment. Everyone is family. Sometimes I find myself humming songs from camp, and it makes me so excited about next summer just to go back and see my friends again. Even though we’re apart for most of the year, I know we’ll pick up with our friendships right where we left off when we see each other next year. “Together for 7. Apart for 358. Friends for 365.”

At times I’ll find myself valuing the expensive things in my life more than the priceless moments. But when I think about it, there are so many moments that are really important to me. My Ugg boots and my week at Camp Calumet are things that I value for very different reasons. I value my Uggs because they’re something that I really wanted for a long time, and I love having them when wintertime comes. I value Camp Calumet because I gained new experiences and friends from my week there. When I think about which is more important to me, I could never make a conclusion of which I value more. They’re both things that I feel really lucky to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment